Magic Morning or Extra Magic Hour, aren’t they the same thing? First and foremost although the two names are used interchangeably depending who you talk to, I MUST tell you that they are most definitely NOT the same. Well, what are the differences you ask? Read on to find out the differences and some tips on making the most of your early admission!
Magic Morning is a perk for anyone with a PARK TICKET of 3days or more. Each guest in possession of a ticket, whether single park or park hopper, may enter DISNEYLAND PARK, ONE FULL HOUR prior to regular park hours. Each guest is only allowed to use magic morning ONCE during the validity of their park ticket. It is NOT available everyday. Magic Morning is available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturday. The time of entry changes depending on the day and time of year you are visiting the Disneyland Resort. Sorry annual pass holders no magic mornings for you unless you splurge for a Disneyland Resort Hotel stay too!
Extra Magic Hour
Extra Magic Hour is an early admission perk EXCLUSIVELY for anyone staying at one of the three Disneyland Resort Hotels. Whether your ticket is a one day park ticket or you are an annual pass holder, you will gain entry into either Disneyland or California Adventure Park. The best part is that you can use it EVERY DAY of your stay at Disneyland Resort! Extra Magic Hour alternates between parks every other day. What do I mean? It’s only available for Disneyland on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and only available for California Adventure Park Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. Make sense?
But wait! Extra Magic Hour and Magic Morning are on the same days for Disneyland! Yes it is, extra magic hour and magic morning will get you into Disneyland an hour early for the same days BUT for those of us who are annual pass holders, it’s a luxury we don’t get on a daily basis so that’s why we always spring for the stay at Disneyland when we can afford it!
Why is early admission so great anyway?
Well, it’s early admission! You will get into the park a full hour before it opens to the general public. Remember the crowds I talked about in my Disneyland Annual Passport VS. Park Ticket post a few days ago? CLICK HERE for that article. You will get access to select rides and attractions for the full hour. The entire park will not be open but some of the most popular attractions will be. It’s also a really great opportunity to just stroll through the park and not have it be as crowded as it would be the rest of the day. It’s a completely different experience. You know all those really great “Pinterest worthy” pictures that you see all over the internet? Extra Magic Hour and Magic Morning is THE PERFECT opportunity to get those coveted shots with very few to no people in the background!
At Disneyland Fantasyland and Tomorrowland attractions will be open. Some shops and restaurants will also be open, but don’t waste your time doing these things! It’s a great time to get to Space Mountain (Hyperspace Mountain overlay currently in effect!) before the hour long lines hit! At California Adventure, the ENTIRE park will be open to roam, but only select attractions will be available. Make sure to get on Hollywood Tower of Terror or Radiator Springs Racers before that line gets insane too!
How do you get in?
A valid park ticket and your hotel room key if you’re staying on property. Every person that is staying in the hotel room should be listed at check in and will receive their own key. Every person MUST have their OWN room key for Extra Magic Hour entry.
What’s the line like to get into the park?
In short? It’s pretty long, but don’t let it deter you. Don’t be alarmed when you walk to the turnstiles and see HOARDS of people waiting to get in. There is a separate entrance just for those with Extra Magic Hour or Magic Morning. Again don’t be alarmed when you get in and see the “gate keepers” letting in the “common folk”, there is LITERALLY a rope that they cannot cross unless they possess a room key or valid ticket. Believe me, they check. Make sure you get to the turnstiles at least an hour before early admission is set to open, so you can make the most of your hour! It sounds like a lot but it’s really not!
Here is a summary of what we just went over plus a few more:
- Magic Morning: Park Ticket 3 days or more
- Magic Morning can only be used ONCE during the validity of your park ticket.
- Extra Magic Hour: Disneyland Resort Hotel Stay, Room Key required
- Magic Morning is ONLY at Disneyland Park
- Magic Morning is available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays
- Extra Magic Hour for Disneyland is available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays
- Extra Magic Hour for California Adventure Park is available on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays.
- When going to Extra Magic Hour for California Adventure Park, use the regular park entrance NOT the Grand Californian entrance. It’s almost always twice as long
- Prioritize before you go! What do you ABSOLUTELY need to accomplish? What’s on your top must do list for the park? Get it done NOW!
- I like to use the Extra Magic Hour on at least one day just to take photos. The lighting is usually great early in the morning and the crowds are light.
- Have brunch after Extra Magic Hour is over, by then all the crowds will be there and ready to take on the day at Disneyland, and you will have done enough to take a load off and relax for a little bit.
- Get to the turnstiles at LEAST an hour before early admission is set to open. Even if you get there late, you’ll still be able to do a fair amount, at the very least, get a good picture!
- Extra Magic Hour is a great time to get a fast pass for Radiator Springs Racers and then get on the ride right away before the line gets epic.